Our teens are our future leaders. It is during these formative years, our young people are grappling with many tough questions in our fast paced, expansive role. How do I fit in? What is my life purpose? Why won’t the world listen to me? Why won’t they stop bullying me? How do I let my friends and teachers know what is inside of me – my thoughts, my fears, and my true dreams?
Teen Empower is a grounded gateway to answer those questions in a safe and powerful process to bring out the very best in our young people. After seven hours in the workshop, the teens speak of embracing honesty, increase respect, carry themselves with dignity, and expand in love. This curriculum focuses on strengthening the students’ capacity to express their emotions, increase empathy and build-self awareness. The students are then better prepared to begin their adult lives with a broader and deeper perspective of themselves and the world around them.
Some Distinctions and Topics Addressed:
- Identify and break down the barriers that separate human beings and challenge them to step into and share their more empowered, authentic selves.
- Identify the false personas, “masks”, and armor that are established as coping mechanisms and how to embrace all of who they are with compassion and forgiveness.
- Clarify judgments vs. facts and how knowing the difference can be a powerful tool to create opportunities to develop competencies they may have thought impossible.
- Define oppression and bullying and unveil it’s prevalence.
- Define and discuss elements of forgiveness.
- Explain how human beings live in language and how their “story” of who they are can diminish or enhance what is possible for them.
- Discuss the power of choice and taking responsibility for their actions.
- Create opportunities to apologize and speak their truth.
- Define and declare their dreams.